Stormy Weather Advice
With storm Dudley and storm Eunice forecast to bring strong winds and heavy rain this week……
We've produced the following advice for anyone with any concerns relating to the safety of their dogs:
1. If the storm disrupts your dog’s exercise routine, activities such as a toy filled with food can help use up some energy playing and ‘exploring’ for food. Games like this are also a great distraction from any unsettling sounds. If your dog needs to toilet and you are able to head out safely to your garden, please keep your dog on a lead in case there is any damage to your wall, fence or gates and your dog can escape.
2. If you need someone to care for your dog during the storm, in the first instance try friends and family, otherwise try your local authority. Remember lots of organisations, including local authorities, may be affected and may not be able to offer immediate help.
3. If you know of any neighbours, relatives or friends who have pets and might be affected then please keep in touch with them.
4. If you are near an area that may flood, be aware that flood water could contain raw sewage, and might be contaminated. Keep you and your pet out of it as the water could contain toxins, which could be dangerous to your pet if swallowed, and could remain on their coat if not bathed properly.
5. Pet owners should know where their pets are at all times. Please ensure your pets are kept indoors during the storm. They may be scared and unsure, and will need reassurance. Dogs have sensitive hearing so the howling wind can be quite overwhelming and worrying for most of them, not to mention the risk of them being injured by debris.