Let’s Have a Yappy (and Vet-free) Christmas!!
Christmas should be a fun-filled time for all the family, with lots of food, frolics, and festivities! It’s important to remember during all the fun though, that your dog is a part of the family and not everything us humans enjoy, is suitable and safe for our furry friends.
So, stick to safe, dog friendly food and activities for your dog’s safety and comfort – nobody wants a poorly pooch at Christmas.
- Carrots, parsnips, sweet potato or peppers – these are all good raw, steamed or baked.
- Apples, pears or melon – great for dogs raw or frozen, without their pips (or melon rinds).
- Cooked turkey, chicken or salmon – fine in small amounts only, no bones or skin.
- Peanut butter (xylitol free) or frozen banana - these make a distracting tasty treat, especially in a K9 Connectable or other long-lasting dispenser.
- A chillout space – it’s so important, especially if you have visitors, for your dog to have somewhere to get away and snooze in peace.
- Daytime walkies – try to get your walks in when it’s bright out, to avoid any fireworks.
- A dog friendly Christmas tree – no pointy needles, tempting tinsel or delicate glass ornaments! (Or keep your tree and your dog far apart from each other! Try putting a barrier around it, or perhaps have it in a room where your dog doesn’t go.)
- Rich, fatty foods – roasted meat, sausages, gravy or anything with cream in can cause an upset tum.
- Meat bones – turkey legs or cooked ham bones can splinter or cause gastro-intestinal issues.
- Crisps or crackers – fatty and salty, these are not good for dogs.
- Constant excitement – make sure all your visitors, especially the younger ones, respect doggie downtime.
- Children and dogs unattended together – at best, it’s a recipe for mayhem. At worst…
- Open fires – sparks can fly and dogs can so easily overheat, so use a fire guard, please!
Call the Vet!
Chocolate, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts and alcohol are all toxic to dogs, so that includes Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies. Holly berries and mistletoe are toxic too, as are onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives. Please keep them all out of the way, and call your vet if you think your dog has eaten or drunk any of these things. Keep your vet’s emergency phone number somewhere handy, just in case.
Above all, spend some quality time with your doggie pal and, from everyone at Dogs Trust, have a hairy and happy Christmas!