Dogs Trust

Avoid hopping along to the vet with your dog this Easter!

With Easter approaching, we want to highlight the potential tragic consequences of feeding your dog chocolate intended for human consumption. Chocolate can be highly toxic to dogs and could be a recipe for disaster if they get their paws on it.

In many homes across the country, all sorts of chocolate delights will be unwrapped this weekend and we want to make sure it’s just the humans doing the unwrapping and eating of Easter eggs!

Dogs Trust Veterinary Surgeon, Desré Daly comments:

"While chocolate is a sweet treat that humans can enjoy, it is something dogs should never have. It is the theobromine, a substance found in chocolate, which can be toxic to dogs. An individual dog’s sensitivity to chocolate is variable and depending on their body weight (and the type of chocolate ingested), even just a small bite of chocolate can make some dogs very sick, and in significant enough quantities, death could result. When a dog eats chocolate, the theobromine metabolizes more slowly than it does in humans. Theobromine interferes with the normal functioning of the central nervous system, heart and kidneys. Without appropriate and timely treatment, this could lead to death."

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning?

o          Vomiting

o          Drooling

o          Excessive thirst

o          Hyperactivity

o          Rapid heart rate

o          Tremors and potentially seizures

How can you keep your dog safe?

Never feed your dog chocolate intended for humans.

Keep your chocolate in a safe place – this means hidden out of sight and out of reach from your dog.

If your egg (or any chocolate) is missing and you suspect that your dog is the culprit, contact your vet straight away.

Look out for any of the following symptoms; vomiting, diarrhoea, a sore tummy, excessive thirst, excitability, racing heart rate, drooling, tremors, or in severe cases, seizures 

If your dog is displaying any of these signs, then take him immediately to your vet.

It is helpful if you can tell your vet how much chocolate, and the type of chocolate, you think your dog may have ingested. If you have any packaging, take it with you to the vets

There is no antidote for theobromine poisoning with treatment being symptomatic. Therefore, the sooner treatment is implemented, the greater the chance of recovery.

If you want to treat your dog this Easter, stick to doggy-friendly snacks that are kinder to your canine.