Rehoming & Adoption FAQs | Dogs Trust

Dogs Trust

Frequently asked questions about rehoming.

Questions

Do you take dogs for rehoming?

Over 70% of dogs in our care have been handed in to us from Local Authority pounds all over Ireland. We focus on these dogs because they are most at risk of being put to sleep. The other 30% are a mixture of private handovers from individuals and other organisations or puppies born here at the centre.

Our Rehoming Centre does take in dogs from private handovers, but only in emergency cases.


At any one time we care for over 200 dogs in our centre and we can get very busy. For this reason we are not always in a position to help all requests.

How can I hand in a dog for rehoming?

If your dog needs to find a new home, please contact us as early as possible after the decision is made. You will need to contact the centre directly; the best way to do this is by telephone. Please leave a message if you are not able to speak to someone straight away and our staff will do their best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Please be aware that our centre is generally full to capacity and you might be put on a waiting list. We will endeavour to help every dog that we can; however, there might be times when we are unable to accept a dog for rehoming.

We do not take a fee from you if we are able to take your dog in, but all donations are welcome, please see the 'Get involved' section of the website.

I've filled in a rehoming questionnaire. Why haven't you contacted me?

We do not contact everyone individually by telephone because there is not the time or resources to do so, and also because meeting you and talking through your questionnaire is a key part of the rehoming process.

I want a particular breed. Can you contact me when you have one?

We cannot contact people directly about their particular requirements as there is not the time or resource to do so. Please contact the Rehoming Centre if you wish to enquire about a particular breed.

Are the dogs free? How much does it cost to rehome?

Our adoption fee is €140. These fees help us to cover the costs of caring for over 1,500 dogs ever year. Every dog adopted from Dogs Trust is:

  • Neutered (or is booked in for a neutering appointment when it is old enough)
  • Microchipped
  • Vaccinated
  • Vet Checked

You will also receive six weeks' free insurance with Allianz Pet Insurance, a starter bag of food and a collar and lead, as well as having a pre-adoption talk to help your dog settle in. Once they're at home, you'll be able to access advice from the centre team as needed for the rest of the dog's life.

I want to know more about this dog, and see more photos.

You will need to contact the centre directly to find out more about them.

It is unlikely to be possible to send more photos of the dog in question, but you are welcome to come and see them in person during opening hours.

Do I need to make an appointment to visit a centre?

No. Our centre is open six days a week, including weekends and Bank Holidays, and you are welcome to drop in during opening hours from 12 noon – 4.00pm.

We are closed on Tuesdays.

How long does the rehoming process take?

Every adoption is treated as an individual case, so while the process normally takes about a week, it can be shorter or longer depending on a number of factors, and this should not be taken as a guarantee.

Centre staff will do their best to find a dog whose needs suit your circumstances from the start, so many people agree a match with centre staff on the first visit and are able to take home the dog soon afterwards (pending a home check).

Some might need to visit our centre more times to find a suitable dog, and occasionally dogs might need to get to know their new owners more gradually, over several visits.

Whenever you discuss a dog with centre staff, their needs will be explained to you so that you know what to expect.

If you know there is a big event (moving house, going on holiday, a new baby) coming up soon, it's best to start the process after everything has settled down, so that whenever you find your new dog, you're ready for them.

Can I reserve a dog online or over the phone? How long can I reserve a dog for?

It is not possible for us to reserve a dog without meeting you. To start the rehoming process, please visit the centre to find out more about the dogs available.

If this involves a lengthy trip or you are interested in a particular dog, you are welcome to call ahead to enquire further about them.

Once you have visited the rehoming centre and the staff have agreed to a match, they will reserve the dog (sometimes known as 'booking') until rehoming is complete.

It is also generally not possible to reserve a dog for an extended period of time, such as until you return from holiday or move house. This could prevent the dog from finding another suitable home, thus also restricting us from taking in another dog needing our help.